Sunday, December 8, 2013

a snowy birthday

Today is my big guy's birthday.  I can't believe he is four.  FOUR!  Where exactly has the time gone?  I swear it was just yesterday that I was bringing him home, I still recall the pain I was in for weeks after having him like it was yesterday. That little man was 12 days overdue and I was excited to have him evicted by induction.  He apparently knew it was coming and I went into labor before I went in.  He was a good baby.  He was very set in his own ways when it came to sleep schedules and would stay awake for hours on end as a newborn just to go to bed at 1am like clockwork.  He's been a handful for us, that's for sure. His younger years were great, he listened amazingly well....then he turned 2 and I think the listening part of his brain broke.  I'm very much hoping that four is the magic age when they are finally at peace with their emotions and understand how to share them without losing control.  I really pray it is the age of temperance and kindness.  I guess we shall see!  

As we were getting ready for church this morning I saw the flurries of snow starting and teared up a little. It is fitting for him to have snow on his birthday, if you ask me.  It snowed the day he was born.  Not a large amount, but a slick snow, that didn't start until he was being born, not during my whole labor.  During my pregnancy I kept telling my husband it would snow on the day he was born.  I knew it.  I just knew that he would come with snow. So as the weeks went by, and my due date came and went I kept my eyes to the skies waiting for any flurry.  Why was this such a firm belief of mine?  John's father passed away 12 years ago, and on the night of his viewing it snowed.  It was April, not a usual time for snow for us.  8 years ago his oldest brother passed away.  His name is Landon's middle name, he is his namesake.  The day he was born it snowed, on the beach, in Florida.  And on the day of his funeral it snowed.  I just knew in my heart that they wouldn't send him to us without snow.  Their first grandchild and first nephew came to us that day as the snow fell softly and gently outside, and I smiled and cried when I saw it.  I looked at John and said, I knew it, I knew they would send him to us with snow.  This is the first time in four years that we have celebrated his birthday with snow since that day and so it meant something a little extra special to me this morning to see it coming down.  

Happy Birthday, Landon Matthew!  May more wonderful years be just ahead of us. More years of joy and silliness and growth.  I love you little man!

 The day after he was born

and four years later


No comments:

Post a Comment