Thursday, February 19, 2015

Valentine's Day in NYC

We have been trying to get to NYC with our friends to see a show together for what seems like forever.  We finally managed it.  She's about to have their first baby so we decided we better get while the getting's good. The choice of going on Valentine's Day was just a coincidence.  We really have trouble getting together sometimes on weekends.  My parents took the boys for the weekend and we were set.  We left at 6:30am and drove to Hoboken, NJ.  It was the first time any of us had done that, but after a little confusion we were able to purchase our subway tickets and head into NYC. The subway took us straight to the World Trade Center, right where we wanted to go.  It was supposed to be freezing cold and windy that weekend. We bundled up and went prepared.  The prep was perfect, although it was cold we were warm enough.  Going to the new World Trade Center and the 911 memorials was touching.  It was a change to the hustle and bustle and loud atmosphere of the rest of the city.  There was a hush and a reverence to the site, as there should be.  

 Going the wrong way when we got off the subway gave us this perfect view of the new World Trade Center

 At the base looking up.  


Then two memorials.  Notice the bottom one has better water flow happening.  They are beautiful and simplistic.  




It's guy love....
Chilly.


Becky and I were excited to go see this show.  The two of us have been wanting to see it and it goes off Broadway in March.  We made it just in time!  The men were kind enough to let us go see what we wanted to.  We got to see Idina Menzel, in person!  She and I both got shivers when she walked on stage.  

Our view of the stage.  We were able to get front row mezzanine and had a great view.

Pre-show.  It wouldn't have been the same without my theater buddy.

The only time it snowed was while we were waiting outside the stage door. We waited for a long time even though the door guy said Idina would not come out and no one else probably would either.  We stood our ground, and I even got up where there was no barrier, just in case I got lucky.

It's Mark!  Or as he he actually named, Anthony Rapp.  We were also really excited to see him too.  He will always be Mark from "Rent" for us, but I enjoyed seeing him in another role.  He was not personable out there.  Was it the cold, or is he just a jerk? I don't know, but I have his autograph and my face is nearly on his shoulder here.  Win.

Look, it's us with Idina!  We are totally besties....

I think it's written that I must put something strange on my face or head every time I visit a NYC toy store and take a picture making a weird face. 

I love St. Patrick's Cathedral.  I have to stop and take a picture every time I visit.  It holds a very special place in my heart.

NYC with some of the best friends anyone could ask for. 
Notice the extreme bundling.


We picked a random place to eat dinner and weren't let down.  We spotted an Irish Pub near Time Square, Langans, and it was great.  I had lobster ravioli in a vodka sauce.  It's a food I might dream about now and again.  

Our dinner dates.  




Attack of the T-rex!  It was animatronic and moving and roaring.

Tedd was in his glory

Optimus Prime!  Landon was thrilled to see these.


So many huge things in Toys 'R Us!




I've always wanted to get a picture of the giant button in the garment district.  This was the first time I was not running somewhere and could stop.  The button is white because it has snow on it.  

When we left the city it was not snowing or windy.  We crossed the river and magically it was windy and snowing and sticking.  The drive home was a little tough.  It took us a lot longer than it should have, but we survived!  I didn't get to bed until 5:30 in the morning.  I was definitely happy that my parents still had the boys and I could sleep in!  Next time I go to NYC it will be warm, I have to stop scheduling trips in the winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment