Thursday, January 31, 2013

The cornbread of my dreams!

When I was in college and living in Provo, UT my roommates and I frequented a local restaurant, Frontier Pies.  One big draw was that it was in walking distance if we were unable to get a ride, and we weren't very well equipped with vehicles.  But the biggest draw?  The CORNBREAD!  Oh man, the cornbread was amazing.  When you walked in you got fresh cornbread with honey butter.  Kind of like going to other restaurants and getting bread, but ten times better.  This cornbread was sweet and moist and amazing.  The other great thing was the raspberry lemonade.  It was wonderful and full of actual raspberries.  We did have pie when we went in because, well, we were poor college students and could afford pie...and a drink.  And let's face it, we were really just there for the free cornbread anyway.  At one point our one roommate scored a giant pile of coupons for a slice of free pie.  You better believe we made good use of those.  Eating free pie, free cornbread, and only having to buy a drink.  Maybe this is why the restaurant went under.  Apparently there are still a few of them in Idaho, but most of them have gone out of business.  I don't know if we ever ordered "real" food there more than once!  For years I have dreamed of this cornbread, eaten others and compared it in my head to the dreamy goodness.  I was worried that I had built it up in my head, after all it's been at least 10 years, but my old roommate (Beth) confirmed that she still thought about it.  So I went in search of the recipe online.  And I found it!  Now, is it the exact recipe, who knows!  But someone came up with something.  I found the original recipe here if you want to check it out.



Here's the recipe:
1 cup margarine
1 1/2 cup sugar
4 eggs
2 1/4 cup flour
3 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 cups cornmeal
3/4 tsp salt
2 1/4 cups milk

Cream the margarine and sugar.  Add eggs, one at a time.  Add dry ingredients.  Stir in milk until well combined.  Pour into a greased 13x9 pan and bake at 375 degrees fro 35-40 minutes.

Making this was the first time I used my new KitchenAid mixer.  It was awesome!  And I realized that it and I are on a learning curve.  I have a lot to learn.  I am used to the bowl spinning, not being stationary.  Man, I made a mess.  But it creamed the butter and sugar like I've never seen.  And my hand was happy to not be using the hand mixer anymore!

This turned out like a dream!!!  It made a huge pan, enough that I ate it for breakfast for days.  I made it with sausage stew, delicious!  This was just how I remembered it.  It was thick, it was moist, and it was sweet.  It was like heaven in my mouth.  If anyone else has wondered about the recipe, here you go!  It seems to be very sought after.  Now if I could only find the recipe for the raspberry lemonade I'd be set!  



No comments:

Post a Comment