Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Life on shuffle

Yesterday I was driving to and from my parents to retrieve the kiddos.  That's an hour each way.  As I started out I was trying to decide what to listen too.  Then I decided to do something I've always wanted to try.  I put my iPod on "play all" and "shuffle" and just let it make the musical decisions.  It was fabulous!  I all of a sudden found myself being taken down memory lane.  First was Ryan Shupe and the Rubberband bringing me back to my college days with 1000x's.  If you've never heard it you can go here.  It actually made me tear up a bit.  Maybe because I have always loved the lyrics, or maybe because it took me back to those college years.  I was back there sitting and watching them.  Dancing and rocking out in the Provo tabernacle and feeling a little weird screaming and dancing in a place that we had church meetings.  I was there meeting the band (several times of course!) and randomly meeting Craig Miner's parents and thinking I was the coolest person EVER for doing so.  I was with wonderful friends, feeling connected to those that I left in Utah so long ago.

Following that came Colors.  Colors is a band that will forever have my heart, regardless of the fact that they are no longer together.  The song that came on was 11:20, check it out.  For some reason this song brought me to tears too. Once again I was back in my college years listening to my favorite band.  Seeing them in concert, meeting them.  I was their biggest fan in my apartment, so when their final farewell concert came to my college campus I didn't get to go.  If only I had had a car or was willing to ride the public transit but that late at night.  So I bought the DVD and pretended I had gotten to go.  I own every album, even the one they released in High School.  I sing my children to sleep with Lullaby by Russ Dixon.  Oh how I love Russ Dixon!  I love all of them, truly I do, but Russ's songs touch my heart in a different way.

This kept on going like this for a little bit, and I loved it!  There's nothing like going back in time on a musical journey.  If you are anything like me then music touches your heart, your soul, and holds more memories in it then anything else can.  Songs take me back to specific moments in my life.  I will definitely be putting it on shuffle again and seeing what good old songs creep out of it's memory.

1 comment: