Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Project completed

Yesterday my Mom came over and we finished the glider rocker project.  It was harder then we thought it might be.  Since neither of us has any experience upholstering or recovering things it took us a long time to figure out how to make it happen.  The original covers were attached with snaps, so my Mom purchased some on her way over.  After spending ample time trying to figure out how they worked we ended up not even using them!  We were better off just sewing the fabric on the chair.  It held it tight enough that the foam won't move an inch or the fabric for that matter.  So no need for snaps or for even sewing a sleeve for the foam to go into.  We just covered it right on the arm and stitched it in place.  My Mom showed me how to do a slip stitch, which was great!  I am not versed in stitches, so I'm happy to have another one in my arsenal.  She got one attached while I took care of Will and then she had to leave so I finished the other one myself.  Luckily it stayed in place.  If mine falls off in the next few weeks we'll know I screwed up. haha.  I did for some reason start from the back and ended up having to sew with my non-dominant hand and I stabbed myself deep with the needle and had to get a bandaid so I didn't bleed on the fabric.  This all occurred while Will was climbing through the gliding mechanisms and Landon was trying to get me to play guns, or asking me about my "boo boo" repeatedly.  Ah, I love kids, but man they make doing a project hard!
Arms completed!
I have gotten to use it a little and it's perfect!  I wish that I had had this chair while Will was smaller.  We are currently working on getting him to fall asleep alone, with only a little rocking, so I don't get to spend much time enjoying it anymore.  But today I had  to have him fall asleep on me to get him to take a longer nap so I snuggled in and really enjoyed it.
Thanks to my Mom again for helping me out!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for letting me help Toots! I had fun with you and the boys. The finished chair looks great and you will enjoy it for years. Love you!!

    ReplyDelete