Tuesday, August 13, 2013

corn corn corn

As you all know, I acquired 2.5 dozen ears of corn at the end of last week.  There is no way we can eat that much, so I finally got a day to freeze it.  We were down to 19 ears from our original count of 27, so I didn't get as much out of it as I could have.  But I was pretty excited to have gotten some done.  

 The goods and the tools. That's right, we are high tech in my family with our wood with a nail in it. You don't need anything more complex than that.

 Stuffed the pot full.  
Ended up with three bags of delicious sweet corn for the winter months.  

I was able to husk, steam, and cut (most of the ears) while the boys slept. Landon woke up as I finished up the last few ears and bagged it up.  He was very confused by what I was doing to his beloved corn.  I was shocked at how fast it went.  But then I had to remember my childhood freezing corn in the summers.  We would do anywhere from 100-200 ears of corn in one day.  By the time you have husked 200 ears of corn you are completely convinced that you will NEVER eat another ear of corn in your life.  And by the time you are done, and have all your bags full, and realize that you are covered in chunks of corn and starch, you also realize that you have been eating corn the whole time.  And the next year you do it all over again.  

I am thankful for my parents for being thrifty people and being resourceful people.  They taught me to not only be thrifty in my spending and in my living, but they passed on their resourcefulness.  I am still struggling to be a good gardener, but I put one in every year. I freeze my green beans, and broccoli, and I can my tomatoes.  We also can salsa from our own ingredients.  In the summer we make strawberry jam and in the fall we can peaches. This year I hope to add peach jam to my list of goodies this year.  Last year we added applesauce to the docket since Will was a baby and I was making homemade baby food.  We made plain applesauce for him, and the good stuff for us. It's a lot of work, and we always help each other out with the large batches.  Once the kids can wield a knife they are set to work helping can.  We teach 'em young around here.  

No comments:

Post a Comment