Thursday, August 8, 2013

winning

Today was pretty awesome.  I thought it was great when we checked out of BJ's with $25 worth of coupons used.  I thought it was awesome when Landon got to spend his piggy bank money and ended up getting one of his picks for $2 less than it was marked upon check out.  

All great things.  Then we were driving home, and we had seen corn for cheap, but they were closed up.  So we stopped at a little stand outside East Berlin.  He's there every year in his little white shed, but I've never stopped.  So I ran across the traffic.  I was planning on getting a dozen if it was a good deal.  I approached and there wasn't much corn left.  This was nearing 6pm, so it was getting late in the day.  The man in the shed was obviously a life long farmer.  He had thick hands with big thick fingers, dirty and leathery from years of farm work.  He was a broad man who looked tough, but he was sweet.  I asked him what he had and he showed me.  I then asked him how much for a dozen. He eyed me carefully and replied, "a buck and a half." I said, "for a dozen?" He smirked and said, "for all of it" as he pointed to the pile in front of him.  
Me: "I don't want all of it!" all be it I said this very quietly
Farmer: "of course you do.  I just picked this this morning. You have somewhere to keep all of this,right?"
Me:"Yes?"
Farmer: "Good!" As he's shoving ear after ear into a plastic bag, "I guess when I can't fit anymore in that's all you'll get!" Shoving them in, even though there's no room, "there's always room for one more." 

I gave him his $1.50 and stared at him in disbelief.  It took me a minute to move.  I walked back to the car with John staring at me in amazement.  I told him my feminine wiles must have charmed him into giving me such a deal.  I came home and counted it out.  27 ears!

Check out my haul!  It's not the nicest corn I've ever seen.  It's been nibbled by bugs,
I found a few worms, and he had trimmed off some bad stuff himself, but it will still be great!

And then it got even better! It got better you ask?  IT DID!  Will got into the bathtub without screaming like someone was killing him.  He then stayed in the tub.  He SAT DOWN in the tub.  He let water pour down his face, he fell down, and through all this, he LAUGHED!  My water boy might finally be back.  It's been about a month now that he has treated bath time like it's the end of the world.  It's been pure torture for the entire household.  But I had to force him out because he was shivering!  That's right, bath time without screaming and snot topped everything!

 Landon got new water guns with his money.  They had to try them out.
See that?  See Will sitting in the tub....see him playing with a toy not red faced and covered in slober, snot, and tears?  Life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment