Saturday, April 12, 2014

Memory lane

Today I took the boys to visit my parents and play with their cousins. One stop we made was my alma matter, Marion Elementary.  We stopped by to use the playground, but I had to take a picture of this great old school. 
If you went here you are some of the lucky few! I still love this place and have more memories of this school than any of the others. Even as a kid I loved this old building and it's odd lay out. Perhaps it's partly why I love old buildings and old architectural features. Who knows, but from the outside this school is the same. So were parts of the playground. 

The play ground. Well, the paved part. I still remember falling and ripping my elbow open there and having to have the school nurse, good old Wheezy Wentzel, clean the gravel out of it. Or when I nearly broke my wrist playing kickball. Yes, I have always been this athletically challenged. Don't be alarmed! I sprained and ankle over by the swings too. Seriously, I have always been a klutz. Of course over the years they have replaced the "dangerous" playground equipment with the "safer" alternatives. But they left the butt and nose busting wooden see-saws and swings with finger pinching chains. 

We had so much fun on these things. And injured ourselves a bit too. Who didn't twist as tight as the chain would allow and then let the tension out spinning out of control? There was also the brilliant idea of twisting with the person next to you and letting them unwind while bashing into each other and pinching your hands in the chains. Good times! No, really, it was the best! 

I hope everyone enjoyed their elementary years as much as I did! 

No comments:

Post a Comment