Sunday, May 4, 2014

Changes

My little boy is becoming a big boy!  We've been putting off putting the boys into the same room for a long time.  We knew we had to before it was too close to baby time, but the thought of the fight ahead was too much.  He is used to his own room, and to a crib.  And Landon is used to his own room, and being able to get up and make noise when he wants without disturbing anyone.  A kink in moving Will over was that the toddler bed had been unassembled.  Back when that bed was new Daddy leaned on it a little too hard and broke the side support.  We patched it and have been using it that way for several years.  But, it had gotten so bad that the bed was sagging and a chunk of wood fell out.  So Daddy to the rescue (and pappap)!  He built two new side rails for it so it is stronger.  He got it fixed up and it was time to give it a shot.

The first try was a terrible time.  We had to go in repeatedly. The two of them are so sneaky that we didn't even hear them.  The first time all the lights were on and Will was wielding two Thor hammers.  Then they just giggled and went nuts.  So we split them up and they went right to sleep.  I partly blame this on it being nap time.  We waited about a week to try it again.  We were scared.  We decided to try for bedtime this time around.  Will refused to sleep in the toddler bed, I found him climbing into bed with Landon.  So I got him set up in there with all his animals.  The two of them snuggled up next to each other was adorable.  It took several trips in to tell them to stop talking, and telling Will to stop pulling his brother's hair, but they did fall asleep.  And it only took 30 minutes.  It was a miracle!  I couldn't believe how well it went.  AND they stayed asleep all night!  We did move Will to the toddler bed before we went to bed for fear he would fall out of the big bed, he was about to fall out head first.  Not only did they sleep all night with no problems, they slept until 7:30.  Woohoo!  We tried for nap time the next day, but that wasn't happening.  Landon is at the age where he doesn't always fall asleep and Will needs too, but not when your big brother isn't. So we split them up.  That night we kept them split because it was John's birthday and we had friends over.  Getting them to go to bed when people are there is hard enough without adding in sharing a room for the second time.  So last night I put them together again.  This time I didn't have Daddy back up, so I was a little worried. But they went right to bed!  Will sat up and cried for a second until I offered him an extra blankie.  They were up early this morning due to Landon making tons of noise getting out of bed to go potty, but they slept through the night again.  And last night Will insisted on the toddler bed, AKA the big boy bed.  I'm afraid that this is all a dream!  Today they even NAPPED in the same room!  What???  I tried to split them since they were being noisy, but that only caused a meltdown from Will who really wanted back in his big boy bed.  So back he went.  It took a while for them to give in, but they did go down.  And tonight they crashed out easily too.  It's a dream world around here.  

I'm always a little weirded out when I go up and Will's room is empty, and that it's so quiet.  I know they are that quiet in separate rooms while sleeping, but it's strange when together for some reason.  I'm so excited that this has gone well.  I think Will is getting excited about getting a baby into the house and giving up his crib is part of it.  We have been talking to them about this switch for a while and Landon has been crying some nights because he wants to share a room.  I think we just happened to pick the right time to make the transition.  I love my big boys!  Watching how much Will loves running and getting into his big boy bed is great. The best part is how they love to give each other hugs and kisses before bed.  They have to give hugs and kisses or they won't sleep.  They still jabber and get in trouble, but I think it will get easier as the novelty of it all wears off.  I can't believe this....someone pinch me!

No comments:

Post a Comment